Updated August 5, 2013
Our theater strongly believes in setting high standards - mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Our theater is not a church. It is a youth theater company that is committed to training students to put on quality theater with a Judeo-Christian world view. Our staff and board look past denominational lines and see students as students.
Cornerstone Youth Theatre’s Goals:
1. Training children in the performing arts.
2. Building leadership skills.
3. Developing a sense of community and fellowship
4. Providing positive, Godly role models for students.
Staff Statement of Beliefs
- We believe the Bible to be the only inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, and His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through the shedding of His blood, in His bodily resurrection on the third day, and His ascension to the right hand of the Father.
- We believe that salvation is by grace alone through faith, apart from works, by the merit of the shed blood of Christ.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost: they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of eternal separation from God.
We offer 10-week sessions during the school year (fall, winter and spring.) Children ages 6-18 may select one theater class per session. The cost for a 10-week session is currently $125 - $220 per student (dependant on age bracket). An early registration discount is offered for each student.
A wide variety of classes are offered (core classes in drama, voice, and dance, plus specialty classes which vary from session to session). Our association offers small classes (usually 12-22 students) with adequate supervision both inside the classroom (teacher) and outside the classroom (Cornerstone coordinator). Each class lasts for two-hours and runs for 10 consecutive weeks (20 total hrs. of instruction.) During the 10th class week, a high-energy showcase is presented by each class for the other students as well as family and friends. Every enrolled student participates in the showcase.
Our association produces at least one Broadway-style musical for the community each session. Upcoming musicals for the 2019 -2020 1 Central Alberta season are: Frozen
in November 2019
, Shrek in March 2020 , and Anne of Green Gables in June of 2020.
Enrollment in class provides students (ages 8-18) the opportunity to audition for the current production. Approximately 50 students are cast in each production. A $80 per first child ($65 per additional child) production fee covers miscellaneous production-related expenses. Optional expenses include a makeup kit and a show t-shirt.
Students under the age of 8 or those not cast in the show are encouraged to participate in the production in other ways. Depending on age and ability, students (and siblings) can participate on the backstage crew, technical team, or the costume and make-up committees. Students may also choose to work at the concession stands or help usher.
Our association is a family oriented organization dedicated to providing entertaining activities which can involve the entire family. As such, at least one parent of each student cast in the production must serve on both a pre-show and a show-week Family Committee. Without the support of family, we could not produce high-quality community shows. Parents are the backbone of our association!
Policy of Conduct